Football is considered to be the most popular sport in America. Most boys dream of playing in the NFL. However, some players prefer to step in the ring rather than go into the field. Here are the TOP 5 most famous footballers who have become MMA fighters.
- Brock Lesnar is the most titled NFL player. In 2004, he joined the Minnesota Vikings. However, after 3 years of the game, the contract renewal was rejected by the team. In 2007, Brock made MMA debut, and 9 months after that, he won the UFC heavyweight champion title.
- Brendan Schaub proved to be a good football player during his university days. He played in the NFL and then in the AFL. In 2009, he took part in the reality show The Ultimate Fighter, after which he became interested in wrestling. Schaub lost a lot of fights, but the audience liked him for the exciting show.
- Matt Mitrion was in the NFL for a little more than 3 years. He changed 2 teams and was even seriously injured during that time.
However, Mitrion, as well as Schaub, took part in The Ultimate Fighter. Mitrion kept his career going and even stepped into the ring with Schaub, but got knockout. Despite that, he continues fighting.
- Eryk Anders was a star of his college football team. After studying he became a Cleveland Browns player. Nevertheless, Anders was never in the starting line-up. In 2012, he debuted in mixed martial arts as an amateur, and then, in 2015, as a professional. The ex-football player won two fights last summer.
- Greg Hardy is the most famous football player ever to fight in the UFC. However, firstly he spent four seasons with Carolina Panthers and one season as a Dallas Cowboys player.
In 2018, he switched to the UFC, winning all 6 fights via knockouts. What is interesting, the longest fight lasted for 96 seconds.